G BAR M RANCH
Clyde Park, Montana
You will find Rocky Mountain scenery out your window and a trout-filled creek out your door. The G BAR M Ranch is located in a mountain valley near Clyde Park, Montana, a well-established, ranching community. Originally settled at the turn of the 19th century by Mike Leffingwell’s great grandfather, the G BAR M currently has two generations of the family working on the ranch.
There has been a lot of attention given to sustainable agriculture lately, but the Leffingwells have been good stewards of their land and livestock for decades before it became trendy. Today the G BAR M runs 40 head of horses and 150 head of cattle on over 60,000 acres of owned and leased land. Carrying on the Leffingwell family tradition, Mike & Maria and their daughter Mary share the family’s passion for the ranching way of life. They also manage the breeding and summer grazing rotation for neighboring ranches which expands the cattle operation. Their motto is: to have good neighbors, you must be a good neighbor.
While the emphasis is on riding, the folks at the ranch understand that not everyone wants to “cowboy up.” Non-riding members in your group can kick back and do as much or as little as they would like. One can always enjoy fishing and/or great hiking on trails in the Bridger Mountains.
- Daily Ranch Riding -- Come as a guest, leave as a cowboy! All cattle work is done on horseback. Seasonal riding opportunities include moving cattle, riding herd health, and packing salt to the back country.
- The panoramic views just get more awe-inspiring the higher you go. A full seven-day ranch week with riding (every day but Sunday) geared to the skill level of the riders. In addition to the cattle work, there is varied trail riding (no emphasis on head-to-tail riding at this ranch.)
- Fall Gather-- For the more experienced rider, there is the two-week fall gather and cattle drive involving 10 to 12 hours of strenuous riding each day.
- Working Ranch Cowboy School -- with emphasis on natural horsemanship, building a team connection with your horse, and practicing “cow maneuvers” that make team penning look like child’s play!.
- Fishing -- Enjoy self-guided trout fishing on private access to Brackett Creek just out your door or take a half hour drive to fish the legendary Yellowstone River.
The facilities are all about ranch hospitality, comfort, and quality.
- Main Lodge - The newly constructed Lodge has four bedrooms (sleeps 8) each with a private bathroom. Very comfortable and beautifully decorated with hand-made quilts
- X Hanging O Cabin – This cabin has a large living room with fireplace, kitchenette, private bathrooms and two spacious bedrooms. There is a screened porch off the master bedroom which has a double bed. In total, it sleeps 5 people with a double, a single, and two twin beds. Situated in the trees along Brackett Creek, offering privacy yet nearby the headquarters.
- G Bar M Cabin - This smaller two-bedroom cabin is comfortable with private bathroom and sleeps 4 people (a double and two twin beds).
- Ranch House - The Rustic Ranch House, originally built in 1909, is a restored homestead cabin with a fully furnished kitchen-dining-living area. There are three bedrooms (sleeps 6) and two bathrooms. Comfortable and beautifully furnished, perfect for reunions.
- Mix-and-Match - For reunions, combine the guest rooms in the Ranch House with the two cabins and you have everything you need. Ask about wedding, honeymoon, family reunion and retreat packages that include use of the Main Bunkhouse.
As seen on the Netflix Series - The World’s Most Amazing Vacation Rentals